Monday, February 23, 2009

Are you still on the step watching the windows close

So I went to a peotry reading tonight. I really enjoyed it and the poet read a poem called " What I like and don't like" now I want to share my likes and dislikes. I know, I am a nerd.

I like peace but not quiet
I like hugs but not handshakes
I like the sound of my mother's voice, but not listening to her
I like seeing the world, but not visiting the same place twice
I like poetry but not the ones everyone else likes
I like sleeping but not waking up
I like sharing my things but not my people
I like sharing my thoughts, but not the important ones
I like my cheekbones but not my cheeks
I like shoes, but not wearing them
I like snow, but only when it is fluffy
I like walks, but only if I can think while taking them
I like running, but only on my own terms
I like being busy, but only so much that the thoughts I don't like don't creep up on me
I like bras and panties, but not the way people look at me when I say this
I like attention but not if I am not doing something that is asking for it
I like writing this but I won't tomorrow.

yeah that's it.
this next poem is called " La figlia che piange" It is my favorite poem of all time and now I want to share it with you. It is by T.S. Eliot and I have never figured out why I love it so much.

O quam te memorem virgo…
STAND on the highest pavement of the stair—
Lean on a garden urn—
Weave, weave the sunlight in your hair—
Clasp your flowers to you with a pained surprise—
Fling them to the ground and turn 5
With a fugitive resentment in your eyes:
But weave, weave the sunlight in your hair.
So I would have had him leave,
So I would have had her stand and grieve,
So he would have left 10
As the soul leaves the body torn and bruised,
As the mind deserts the body it has used.
I should find
Some way incomparably light and deft,
Some way we both should understand, 15
Simple and faithless as a smile and shake of the hand.
She turned away, but with the autumn weather
Compelled my imagination many days,
Many days and many hours:
Her hair over her arms and her arms full of flowers. 20
And I wonder how they should have been together!
I should have lost a gesture and a pose.
Sometimes these cogitations still amaze
The troubled midnight and the noon’s repose.

Rule of Life #27: It is perfectly ok to cry

No comments:

Post a Comment